Arroz con pollo, or rice with chicken in Spanish, is a beloved classic Hispanic dish that can be dressed up or dressed down and makes for an easy one-pan dinner that the whole family will love. It’s simple, but flavorful and easy, yet comforting. This Dominican-style arroz con pollo, or lucrio de pollo, is a family recipe that’s perfect for busy nights when you don’t want to spend hours slaving over a hot stove and want a recipe that kids are guaranteed to gobble up.
This recipe calls for Dominican oregano, but if you can’t find any, regular oregano will work too. It also calls for culantro, a stronger version of cilantro, but it can be hard to find in grocery stores so you can easily swap in cilantro or leave it out entirely.
This locrio de pollo uses a 1:1 rice cooking ratio, but depending on your stove, you may need to add a bit more water. You can also check out this video by Chef Zee on how to make the perfect white rice on YouTube.
Dominican-Style Arroz Con Pollo
- 1 ½ lbs chicken
- ½ small onion
- ⅓ green bell pepper
- 1 tbs sazón azafran (saffron)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs sopita or chicken bouillon powder
- ½ tsp orégano
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ½ Lime
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- Recao, or culantro
- 3 cups rice
- ¼ cup Water
- 3 cups of water
- Olive oil, 2-3 tbsp
- Marinate the chicken with the finely chopped onion, pepper, garlic, chicken bouillon powder, lime juice, sazon, Dominican oregano (or regular), and a couple of splashes of olive oil. Let the chicken marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Brown the chicken in a pan until it is cooked roughly 3/4 of the way through.
- Add about 1/4 cup water to the marinade bowl and add it to the chicken in the pan.
- Add in tomato paste and stir until it is well combined.
- Once the chicken is simmering, add your rice to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add 3 cups of water to the chicken and rice and let simmer until most of the water is gone.
- Add your culantro or cilantro, cover the pot, lower the heat to the lowest setting, and cook for 25-30 minutes.
For more details, watch the full recipe tutorial on YouTube and check out the complete recipe on Chef Zee Cooks.
Source: Read Full Article